I read fellow Addisonian Lana's blog this morning #62 Can you tell? and once again,as has happened so many times since I've started reading her blog, it was as if she was telling MY story, again. She gave such a vivid descriptive detailed description of what happens when an "episode" is happening out of the blue.
Another fellow Addisonian had taught me early on to make sure I use proper terms when telling others (& especially doctors) what happens during events or episodes of unwell-ness. Be careful not to call an episode/event a crisis cause it can diminish a true crisis ( at least in a dr's eyes) She explained the difference between a crisis & an episode/event was that an episode we can pull ourselves out of, with stress dose steroids, salt increase, sleep, Gatorade/Powerade or coconut water ( any electrolyte replacer really).
A crisis is just that , A CRISIS -- an event that without medical intervention will kill us our blood work & vital signs will reflect what is going on INSIDE our bodies as our bodies start shutting down organs & body systems in an effort to save the brain. and allow us to live another day, in it's estimation, when in reality our own bodies are killing us by shutting down vital body systems that we need to live!!!
As I read Finding Lana's blog out-loud to my husband, he got a little defensive, as he tends to do when I get in that shape and it has slipped his detection, much the same way Lana's husband did in her post. I have tried often to explain to him that I TRULY WISH my BRAIN would work and allow me to take my LIFE SUSTAINING meds when I approach that state but IT DOES NOT...that in a nutshell is the problem.
Still so impressed by the way she expressed what I have experienced too many times before I read it to my best friend who has Graves disease & Hashimotos & is currently experiencing Adrenal issues too.
Things that I experienced six+ years ago she is now starting to experience as well and she will call me up and say I now know what you meant by...... Like I used to (& still have flare days when I experience periods of exacerbation) say I don't have enough air to talk on the phone. She now is experiencing "lung" problems and there are days when she can't talk on the phone because she doesn't have enough "air." everything takes so much longer to do because you're just not getting enough oxygen in. It hurts to walk,move,breathe.
I have tried to explain to friends,family & dr's what happens when I KNOW I am going down. My inside body feels like I am going 100 miles per minute and my outside body is really only going 2 miles per minute. And then there comes a point when my mind & body no longer communicate. How do you walk when your brain no longer sends the signal? It is not a matter of "pushing" through the tiredness or the pain. It is a matter of the communication system is being disrupted. There are autonomic things our bodies just DO like breath, we don't have to think about it or remind ourselves to do it, we just do it. We generally don't think about making our legs walk, we just think, I need to go up these stairs or I need to use the bathroom and we just walk there but as the Addisonian episode comes over me,that communication signal gets lost/disrupted and all of a sudden I can't count on my legs to get me anywhere.
.... Lana explained her experience like this......I'd already taken an early morning dose of Hydrocortisone, but knew I needed more. I literally jumped up to move to the tent fast because my body was about to go into another state of existence, I've already learned that there is a point when my body separates from my mind and that is when the body simply won't cooperate, per a typical Addison's Crisis..... once again although I've never met Lana we have shared so much....
My hope is that this blog will reach others with this disease and assure them that they are NOT alone, although we may never meet face to face, we share so much.
Thank You Lana for sharing your life with me and everyone else who reads your blogs.
P.S. I started writing this piece at the end of April beginning of May but I have had a bad flare days (more like month) BUT Thankfully the fog is FINALLY lifting. Not back to my abnormal "normal" self yet but each day Is getting a little better.
I know that it is very hard for those who are well to understand how adrenal disease affects us. Sometimes our bodies just revolt and refuse to cooperate. I get to the point when I am low on cortisol that I can not/will not do anything I know I should to help get myself out of the situation. My husband has trouble understanding why I just get very stubborn and uncooperative.
ReplyDeleteThere is a difference in a crisis where we need medical intervention and a near crisis where we are able to get ourselves through by taking the proper precautions. There have been times when it was close with me but thankfully Zofran ODT and extra HC got me through. But if you have to take your injection there is a need to get yourself checked to see why? what has caused this crisis. You treat the underlying illness/injury.
I remember the breathlessness...I still get it to a lesser extent when I am dehydrated or low on steroid.
Jo
Hi, Reading your story is like reading my own story. I was diagnosed in 2001, secondary addison's due to pituitary failure. I also have Crohn's Disease and a lot of digestive problems. I see Jo from Addison Village posted above...are you a member there? I've been posting there for years. That is where I learned everything....those Lades are great. I have two blogs...check them out when you can.
ReplyDeletehttp://moisbloggingithink.wodpress.com
http://theaddisongirl.wordpress.com
Mo
whoops....that's
ReplyDeletehttp://moisbloggingithink.wordpress.com
You are so sweet and it is strange how we can have such mirrored experiences, but it is the nature of this disease. It's so hard to explain to others who might be trying to learn about this disease and my blogging helps. In fact, my husband went with me last night to my first NADF support group meeting in Houston, Texas and he told the very few of us sitting there that my blogging has actually helped him to understand what I'm going through. Sometimes, being around each other all the time dilutes the situation.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, your husband and my husband should not feel bad about not being able to detect it right away when we are in trouble because we, ourselves, have obviously had difficulty in detecting an on-coming episode until it hits hard. I can go from feeling exhausted to ragdoll state in no time flat.
I hope your are doing well --- I come to check on you and am so glad you have done some writing. Keep it up!
Your blog buddy,
Lana
www.FindingLana.blogspot.com
right there with you peach!
ReplyDelete